Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"It's our motto" " What's a motto?" "Nothing. What's a motto with you?"

I have, what I like to call, a "fro" or a "mane" as my husband often refers to it. He is, in essence, calling me a Lion. This happens for a few reasons.

1. I have naturally very curly/wavy hair
2. I blow dry it
3. I then sleep on it (I’m a night showerer. I have to go to bed clean)
4. I wake up from a night of sleep-walking, talking, tossing and turning and WALA, we have a “fro”.
Now, after having slept on said “fro” it’s impossible to try to re-straighten it to perfection after it has just gone through 8 hours of being utterly destroyed. Oh believe me, I put up a fair fight and I battle it in the morning, but it is to no avail.

There are a few possible suggestions I have for myself, and since I don’t do them, I will rebuttal each one.
1. Take showers in the mornings
               A. I would much rather sleep in for that extra 30-40 minutes (time it takes for a shower and blow-dry) than get out of bed. I love sleeping. It really is my favorite thing to do in the world. So why on earth would I want to get up only to deal with the mane on my head?
2. Wear my hair curly
              A. My hair does this thing where it’s curly in some parts, wavy in others, and frizzy to the max pretty much everywhere. If you think I have a “mane” when it is straight, well then you have another thing coming in the curly department. We’re talking King Lion status!
             B. This would also entail that I would have to wash my hair everyday. I have no time for such things. Plus, when you wash it everyday you take away its natural oils. And since I do blow-dry often, my hair-stylist says I shouldn’t wash it everyday. (By the way, all you people who use “volumnizing” shampoos. There is nothing scarier to a person with “Lion-like” hair as the word VOLUME. It creates a fear like no other. I mean, think about it. MORE VOLUME! More hair, more poof, more Lion?! NOOO!)
3. Try hair-styling products
          A. I HAVE! Everyone single one you can imagine. Every brand you can imagine. I’ve used it all. I have yet to find a perfect fit. I think this is mainly because there isn’t one. I just have curly hair, there’s nothing I can do about it, other than be a Lion. The only products that have helped a little are the serums. Bio-Silk in particular, and it makes your hair smell oh so clean.

The thing about this whole situation is that whenever I get my hair done, it’s like magic! Poof! The “poof” is gone. I have sleek, straight, beautiful, smooth hair. No sign of a mane having ever existed. I have watched her technique and tried to copy it, but alas! I cannot win. It is as if the Lion in me always comes out. The funny thing is also that, girl Lions don’t even have manes. So not only, do I look like a Lion, but I look like a male Lion. There is just no winning in this entire situation for me. *Sigh* I think I will try buying a new blow-dryer. We’ll see if that does anything. I will keep all of you updated. In the meantime, I will continue on in my Lion-ess state and hope for Lion-less hair in the future. :)

6 comments:

  1. I completely understand your hair issues, I have very similar ones and have not found a solution either...I like your lion pictures, they are very cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have another "Lion" friend out there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't relate. I have the opposite (limp, lifeless hair that gets greasy if I don't wash it everyday). And let me tell you, the grass isn't any greener on this side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just like calling you a lion. its also for your roar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean I wrote this whole posting, and you don't even call me a Lion because of my hair!!! Sheeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a similar problem, but not to your extent. i used to be a night showerer too until the peeping tom issue a few years back. now i've learned to work with my hair.....first blow dry with a ceramic round brush, pieces at a time & then use the straightner to smooth it out. I do use a morrocan oil too. let me know if you want me to show you :)

    ReplyDelete