Thursday, August 20, 2009

Runnin' Down a Dream

I would say that I am an avid traveler. I love the thrill of going new places and the thought of seeing the world is just so exciting to me. Sometimes I will just go online and look at flights just because and see how much it costs to go places that I can only dream about.

One of my first bigger trips to the East Coast was with a few friends in 04 when I was 17. We went to New Jersey & New York. I never wanted to leave. The weather was perfect, the friends were perfect, the food was amazing and I just loved the NY City life. Now, I live just outside of LA, but LA doesn't have the towering buildings that NYC has. In New York, you feel so insignificant, but it was such a new experience for me, I absolutely loved it! New Jersey, however, was a different story. It smelled and was dirty. NYC was the same way, very dirty. LA just isn't like that. However, what NYC lacks in cleanliness, it makes up for in different ways, like public transportation. Subways go everywhere! In LA, I've heard there is a subway but have yet to ever see it or know anybody who uses it. It's as if it's a "phantom subway". I think if I did ever find it, I wouldn't take it as it is completely pointless/useless.
My next big trip was the following year to my (at the time, future) sister-in-law's wedding in PA. I think I may have even flown by myself and what a thrill it was. PA was just beautiful in the summer. The hills, mountains and amount of greenery was comparable to Hawaii. At the time, it was completely stressful as I was meeting my boyfriend's family and friends for the first time. But everyone was so welcoming and nice to me, it made the trip a memorable one :) Since then, we have probably traveled to PA about 6-7 times to visit family and for other various reasons. Philadelphia is awesome, very historical. I must say that I really loved Pittsburgh though. The downtown is just surrounded by water (3 rivers to be exact). It's a great city.
Next up, I went to Seattle a few months after with 2 friends. Sort of a "pre-wedding" trip. Seattle was something special also. It was freezing, but with all the lights the city was awesome. I think it was on this trip that I discovered my love for traveling to big cities. Seattle had a NYC look, but on a much smaller scale with its own feel. The people were awesome, and from the Space Needle, overlooking the city and the water and snow-capped mountains, I felt at ease and peaceful.




Next up, I got married and we traveled to Riviera Maya, Mexico for our honeymoon. Water was warm, clear and we snorkled like a couple of sea turtles. Had some much needed R&R despite having a hectic time getting there (passport problems). Too bad everyone thought my husband was Mexican, and noone would talk to us in English.

The next big trip we took was to NYC, New Jersey & Boston with 2 good friends. Wowzers, what a fun trip that was. Looking back, I think that was the most fun I had ever had on a trip. Good laughs, good fun and we toured NYC like we owned it, doing everything we could in a week. Natural History museum, MOMA, Ice Skating in Central Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, drank local beer and pretty much just did everything I've ever wanted to do in New York. Once again, New Jersey smelled. But Boston, oh Boston. I think it was at this point that my husband decided he wanted to move there. The history is amazing. Cobblestone streets (Philly has a few of those too), and all the places you've read about in American history books, are right there for you. Once again, it has a big city look, but it makes you feel so comfortable, almost welcoming That fall, I took off to Chicago to see one of my favorite bands with a few friends. Instantly, Chicago became my favorite city. I can't even begin to describe how much I love this city. It has everything that NYC and LA have, combined with a twist. You want history, you got it. The buildings are all brick, just like you would have seen in the 20s & 30s with Al Capone. You want variety, oh believe me its there. Every language, food and culture is there. Theaters, museums, suburbs, concerts, clubs, bars, downtown, skyscrapers, interesting people, its all in Chicago. The public transportation KILLS New York, it's far superior. And yet, you can own a car and get around just fine as well. It's also all right next to one of the Great Lakes, which if you didn't know, you would think was the ocean. That Lake is HUGE! The last night we were there, we wandered onto the pier and sat there and watched the sunset over the skyline in Chicago, over the skyscrapers and the city. At that point, I fell inlove with Chicago. Such a cool city, but yet it makes you feel like your already home. In fact, on this trip I decided I wanted to live in Chicago. This was the first time in my life, I actually had not wanted to go home. Beforehand, everywhere I had been had been all great and fun, but I was fine with going home. Chicago changed all of that for me.
The following January, we went up to Canada for a snowboarding/skiing trip to visit some friends. This was my first time to Canada. Honestly, it didn't feel any different except the scenery was breathtaking. Canada really isn't much different than here. We ventured up into Calgary and then from there drove to our friends house in the Canadian rockies. On this trip, I realized how very little I know about Canada. I also never had (or have again) seen so much snow. EVERYTHING was covered in snow, you couldn't even see the city. It was crazy! But I loved it! All in all though, Canada was awesome and I wouldn't mind going up there again next winter.
The next month, in February, we went to Chicago for a week for our anniversary and then headed off to Boston the next weekend for a short 4-day trip and we met some friends there. This was my favorite trip with my husband. We just took the entire week and explored Chicago. I won't lie, it was freezing. For awhile, I thought my ears were going to fall off, and I never remember being as cold as I was there, but in some odd way it added to the charm of Chicago, as I love winter. We even went and looked at a few places to rent, throwing some ideas around of where we would want to live. I want to go back to Chicago so badly. And hopefully in the next few years we can live there for awhile. (Right, Jesse?) Then, just like that we were off to Boston. I would say Boston is my #2 city in the US. Jesse just fell inlove with Boston all over again. Which, I'm not opposed to at all. Boston was awesome, we had some very memorable nights there.


Most recently, our last trip was to Hawaii. If I could imagine what paradise is, it would be Kauai. It's so green, its hard to explain or imagine. The landscape is just breathtaking and the water is like swimming in the bath tub (with a bunch of tropical fish). Even the people were awesome and the food was good. My only qualm with Hawaii is that fact that the humidty and my hair hated each other. But I can't wait until we can go back again.

We've also been to San Diego, San Francisco, Phoenix, Las Vegas, but since those are all driving distance, I'm not counting them. :) All in all, traveling to so many US cities as many times as I have, makes me appreciate California for what it is and has. I must say, the thing I missed most on all these trips was some good ole fashioned Tri-tip sandwhiches and Mexican food. However, while I love CA, I can't wait to live somewhere else. Experience a new place, meet new people and just live life in a new place!
Next year we are hoping to enjoy some international travels. We are planning to go to China in April and do a Euro trip next fall/winter. Then perhaps, I will want to move overseas. While I want to do all these things, if we ever do decide to "settle down" and put some roots down somewhere, I wouldn't want to do it anywhere else but California, in particular Southern California :) And, for those who would say that I haven't really been very many placse (I've never been to Europe or Asia), hey, cut me some slack. I'm 22, and I'm working on making my way over there.

One last thought, I'm so happy I have such a wonderful traveling buddy, thanks bebe.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Just want you to know that I really enjoy your posts. Can't wait for the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome writing, you had me wanting to rush you off on your next adventure, I could feel your emotions in your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys have come with us some time :)

    ReplyDelete