Friday, August 14, 2009

“If you wish to practice the art of fiction, then your horizons must be widened.”

Yesterday as I drove home and thought about this blog, a whole slew (?) of ideas came to me about what to write. And now as I am sitting here, I find that I have forgotten all of them. Oh well, such is life. I think it is important, however, to note that this blog has no specific purpose or point, other than to please my writing needs, and an occasional vent here and there. Most blogs I see have a point: marketing a company, marketing valuable information, ect. Mine does none of those things. So please dont look or try to find one, this blog is essentially "pointless".


As most know, I have been going to school for writing, and as of late have taken a break. Therefore, in order for me to save my writing "technique" I am blogging. However, this particular type of writing has always intimidated me. Since an early age in my writing career, I was always an analytical writer. Read an article or piece of work and write an analysis or criticism of it. I could do this all day and whip out some pretty amazing reports. However, when the dreaded land of "creative writing" came up, I ran for the hills. The thought of writing a piece based off nothing but my own imagination is terrifying, and then to have people actually READ it and then, they themselves critiquing my work?!?!? Oh heavens no! I have, at all costs, avoided all creative writing courses or really any courses that would entail me writing in such a way. Classes like "Writing for Reflection" have no place in my writing career. And now look at me. I'm doing exactly such a thing, and I must say that I enjoy it. It feels good to start writing again. Last night my husband said "keep blogging, and then you can make us money". First of all, I dont really know what or how I would do that. Second of all, I dont think I could ever get enough people to actually read my blog in order for me to sell ads on it. Well, maybe some Unekbride ads. (Please visit http://www.unekbride.com/ for all your wedding needs). Too bad all the people that read this blog are either related to its maker, or are already married. Sorry, I tried.

Anyway, I have always felt strongly about good writing. However, when I have to read a book and sit through an author that goes on, and on, and on about describing every single detail of a scene, I want to scream and throw the book down. C'mon, do we HAVE to know exactly what the sleeves of the coat looked like and compare them to some tree branches or something?! Honestly, it leaves nothing to the imagination of the reader, the author has filled in all the details for us, and I hate that. I want details and descriptions that are important to the plot, character or outcome. Most of the time they are farely useless. Although, there are exceptions to the rule. For instance, Jane Austen. I LOVE her stories. She has some wonderful characters and plots, that I don't mind at all the amount of detail I have to get through. HER characters are truly captivating people. Hemingway does this a bit also, although I find myself able to get through his work with much more ease, perhaps because he's more of a modern writer (sort of). In The Sun Also Rises, he basically wrote about 4 friends who do nothing but drink and smoke as a "lost generation" of post WWI. This wasn't a "short" read either, and was a really good book.

Your probably wondering, "well what authors DO you like". I love realism. Henry James is one of my favorites with Turn of the Screw. I love dark romanticism. Poe's short stories and poems, Melville (Moby Dick), Hawthorne, Dickinson. The themes of their work are interesting and lively (or deadly, pun intended). I also enjoy the works of the Bronte sisters and please please please give me "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennesse Williams anyday.

My knowledge of literature is limited, but based on my exposure those are my favs. Take it for what you will :)

Lastly, I want to post a picture of my husband and I from Hawaii, because I think its cute, so there.

7 comments:

  1. Even better than yesterdays! However, I must point out one flaw. I am not related, nor am I married. So you need to check your facts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I am especially enjoying the fact that I am getting to know you better which is a good thing. Blogging is a great way to continue your love for writing. Have fun! and yes the picture is not cute, it is VERY CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! i need to hire you to write on my blog as it is very elementary in the writing aspect. yes, i suck at writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marqus - I cant aim to please ALL my readers.

    Cha-Cha - Thanks, Jesse took it on his iphone, the quality is great!

    Gina- And I suck at art/creativity, we can talent swap!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "keep blogging, and then you can make us money". bahahahaha that sounds like something I always tell dylan. I always tell him to work very hard so he can make me monies. :)

    ReplyDelete